Archaeologist Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Have a knowledge of the appearance of the following: a Stone Age site and artefact; an Iron Age site and artefact; a rock painting site; a rock engraving site.
- Produce evidence that you have participated for at least five days in an excavation and/or a rock art recording activity under professional supervision. Participation should include at least three of the following activities:
- setting out of an excavation
- field preservation of finds
- sorting and labelling
- drawing of artefacts
- racing of rock paintings
- rubbing of rock engravings
- photographing for record purposes
- drawing or mapping.
- Write an illustrated report on the activity in 2 (above), covering the following:
- Mark the locality on a 1:50 000 map.
- Descriptions of the material recovered, OR some interpretation of the art recorded.
- Some observations that can be made about the finds.
- Discuss with the examiner the use of the Site Recording Manual of the Archaeological Data Recording Centre, South African Museum, and Cape Town.
- Have a knowledge of the relevant clauses of the National Monuments Act and its practical implications for the protection of archaeological sites.
Requirements in PDF