Boatswain Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Repair a small hole in a pulling boat OR patch a canvas or rubber hull OR repair a small hole in a fibre-glass hull.
- Make the following bends, hitches or splices:
- Back splice, eye splice, short splice, longsplice, chain splice, and docker's splice;
- Marline spike hitch;
- Double carrick bend;
- Mouse a hook;
- Turk's head;
- Hunter's bend in synthetic rope;
- Jury masthead knot;
- Boatswain's lanyard incorporating at least six sennits (i.e. boatswain's weave, rolling boatswain, half hitches, diamond knot, grapevine, three corner crownings, flat sennit, turk's head);
- Make an eye splice in a wire rope by either:
- Making an eye splice and worm, parcel and serve it. OR
- Demonstrating how to make an eye using a crimping tool and know the importance of selecting the correct size of ferrule.
- Make a sailmaker's whipping and make off correctly the ends of a nylon or plastic rope using heat.
- Make a fender suitable for a pulling boat.
- Demonstrate how to take care of, clean and remove stains from sails.
- Identify 3 different synthetic fibres both in cloth and ropes.
- Take part in painting and varnishing a boat.
- Make the following pipes on a Bosun's Call:
- The Still;
- Carry on;
- Pipe the Side.
- Make and use a Bosun's chair. Explain the Aerial Runway Code.
- Overhaul and repair a set of standing rigging, in both wire and cordage, for an open sailing craft.
- Demonstrate the uses of purchase tackles, and rig a purchase tackle.
- Make a boat bag, using canvas, PVC or synthetic cloth. List the contents of the boat bag.
Requirements in PDF