Category:History and Heritage
The first Scout Troops in Africa were formed in Cape Town in 1908, the year after Baden Powell's Brownsea Island camp that started the worldwide Scout movement.
Scouting in the Western CapeEdit
Scouting in the Western Cape is proud of its colourful history and in South Africa's significant role in the origins of Scouting.
The first Scout Troops in Africa were formed in Cape Town in 1908, the year after BP's Brownsea Island camp that started the worldwide Scout movement. The Western Cape therefore has a long and proud history of Scouting and the Gilwood Training and Heritage Centre showcases an amazing collection of scouting artefacts and memorabilia.
Western Cape Scout Heritage CentreEdit
The Heritage Centre is maintained by a small team of volunteers who meet once a week at the centre tackling the on-going task of sorting and categorising the vast archives and updating the displays. Much of their work happens at home where documentation is scanned, photos and 'slides' digitized which are then collated and uploaded onto the Heritage Scoutwiki web site.
Exhibits include an impressive array of photos, uniforms, badges, scouting books, memorabilia, and miscellaneous artefacts that chronicle Western Cape Scouting since the inception of the organization. The exhibits highlight major Scouting events, camps, and both National and World Scouting Jamborees.
Our Library contains over 4000 books and is home to a wide collection of catalogued scouting of literature. A prized copy of the first scouting book written by BP and published in 1908, "Scouting for Boys" can also be found in the library.
The recorded history of Scouting is stored in the archives with publications like "The Scout" and the "The Scouter". Initially record keeping was done by newspaper cuttings pasted into scrapbooks and personal Logbooks. There is also a large collection of documents, photos and 'slides' covering events like local and overseas Jamborees to mention a few
- A timeline of Scout Organisation in the Western Cape
- Western Cape Scout Regional Commissioners
- Western Cape Scouting History
- Western Cape Scout Groups - Atlantic Seaboard
We have kept a written record of many of the Scouting Leaders in South Africa.
- Chief Scouts of South Africa
- Robert Baden-Powell
- Mafeking and the origin of Scouting
- Of Bullets and Boys
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category ‘History and Heritage’
The following 79 pages are in this category, out of 79 total.
- Scout Groups in South Africa
- Scout Mountain Club Hut
- The Scout uniform and the South African Constabulary
- Sea Scout Base
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1969 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1970 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1974 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1976 Winterhoek
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1978 Witzenberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1981 Witzenberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1983 Witzenberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1986 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1988 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1990 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1992 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 1994 Cederberg
- Senior Scout Adventure: 2007 Settler Culture
- Senior Scout Adventure: A brief history
- Senior Scout Adventure: Timeline
- South African National Jamboree (SANJAMB)
- Sydney and Ramsay Harrhy - Mafeking cadets