Computer Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Present evidence of your involvement in using computers over a period of at least three months, and explain what you learnt in that time.
- Show a general knowledge of computer technology, including the basic components of a computer system, and explain the following terms: hardware, software, operating system, memory, processor, storage devices, modem, scanner, network, internet, backups, copyrights
- Discuss the different storage devices and media (hard drive, CD-ROM, etc.) which are currently available, and what each of them is used for.
- Do THREE of the following:
- Use a word processor to produce two notices to parents, or troop newsletters, including both text and graphics if possible.
- Use a database package to compile a troop list. Show how to print different reports, such as a list of phone numbers for each patrol, a list of birthdays in calendar order, or an address list for the parents committee. Help your Scouter by keeping these lists up-to-date for at least 3 months.
- Use a spreadsheet to compile a food budget for a patrol camp.
- Use a computer to design and print a poster, e.g. an advertisement for a Scout event, including a logo or illustration you designed on the computer.
- Show that you know how to search for information on the internet, and find out what information is available about Scouting in South Africa and in other countries.
- Design a web page for your troop, and keep it up to date over at least three months. Keep note of any feedback you get from people who visit your page.
- Make contact with a Scout in another country or town, and correspond with them by email for at least three months.
- Use a programming language to write and demonstrate a computer programme you have chosen, subject to your examiner’s approval.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of computer maintenance by doing some of the following, to the examiner’s satisfaction: assembling a computer from parts, installing new hardware, diagnosing and correcting faults, installing and configuring software.
Requirements in PDF