Conservation Scoutcraft Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This badge is design to introduce a scout to the concept on environment conservation. Demonstrate the impact a human has on the earth and what we can do to save our natural resources.
- Have an understanding of the Outdoor Code, and discuss the importance of the different points of it. What is meant by the term "Sustainable Planet" and discuss how you can contribute to this ideal.
- Make a sketch illustrating the complete water cycle using and describing the following terms: precipitation; run-off; groundwater; water table; evaporation; transpiration. Indicate methods on how you would conserve water.
- Show you are familiar with the main causes of the following types of pollution and how they can be controlled: water, air, noise, soil, waste.
- Know the dangers of soil erosion by wind and water. Demonstrate how soil erosion can be combated.
- Know the threats posed by alien vegetation and the measures being taken to eradicate these. Identify the main invader plants in your area.
- Do TWO of the following:
- Establish a bird/butterflies cafeteria by planting an area with bird attracting trees. These trees should be indigenous and fruit bearing.
- Make a pond for birds
- Build a brush pile for wildlife.
- Make a mini-greenhouse to grow plant seedlings for replanting.
- Build up a collection of 5 plaster casts or drawings (made by yourself) of animal and bird tracks.
- Using an observation shelter spend part of a night there observing and recording the animals/birds.
- Start recycling project at you scout hall/ home, school or community centre
- Start a worm farm/compost heap
- Do a energy audit of your scout hall, home or school and report on way to conserve energy
- Participate in a conservation project covering ONE of the following:
- clean water
- clean air
- planting trees
- cleaning up a roadside, picnic ground, vacant plot, stream, or ocean
- plan and carry out an anti-litter campaign with your Patrol or Troop.
- Make a solar cooker and cook something for your patrol.
Requirements in PDF