Cub First Aid and Health Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(You must have passed your 10th birthday before you start this badge)
- Show that you clearly understand:
- The limitations of your knowledge as a First Aider;
- The importance of summoning adult help in the case of accidents.
- The need to make sure that the area is safe for you, before you help someone else.
- How to activate the Emergency Medical Services in your neighbourhood; including emergency phone numbers from a cell phone and a landline.
- Why it is important to use rubber gloves or plastic bags when dealing with open wounds.
- Be able to identify the items in a first aid kit and give an example of what you can use them for.
- Show where the first aid kit can be found in the Scout hall/Pack meeting place.
- Explain what CPR is and when it is used.
- Do the following:
- Demonstrate how to control bleeding by direct pressure with the finger or hand using rubber gloves or plastic bags.
- Demonstrate how to stop a nose bleed.
- Demonstrate what to do if your clothes or another person’s clothes catch fire.
- Demonstrate how to use your scarf for an arm sling and how to use it to make a bandage.
- Demonstrate how to put someone who is unconscious/not responding, but is breathing, in the recovery position.
- Demonstrate how to help someone who has burned their hand (e.g. on a kettle of water or a hobo-stove).
- Explain two dangers to health of each of the following: smoking, drinking alcohol.