Cyclist Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Clean and adjust a bicycle. Prepare it for inspection using a prescribed bicycle safety checklist. Ensure that it meets local legal requirements.
- Show your bicycle to the examiner for inspection. Point out the adjustments or repairs you have made. Do the following:
- Point out all points that need oiling regularly.
- Show the points that should be checked regularly to make sure the bicycle is safe to ride.
- Show how to adjust chain tension, brakes, seat level and height of the handlebars and the derailer gear (if fitted).
- Show your ability to replace spokes and straighten a wheel rim.
- Show your ability to clean and replace all bearings.
- Mend a puncture or replace a tubeless tyre.
- Show a good knowledge of traffic rules, traffic signals and road signs, in discussion with the examiner and demonstrate that you know the bicycle safety code. Demonstrate the correct hand signals.
- Demonstrate proper mounting, pedalling and braking (including emergency stops).
- Plot on a road map a 100 km cycle trip which does not involve main roads. Using your map, complete the ride in 5 hours with at least two other cyclists. OR
- Produce evidence that you have participated in at least three cycle races/meetings where the shortest distance ridden is not less than 25 km.
Requirements in PDF