First Aid Scoutcraft Badge
Be Prepared is the scout motto and all scouts need to know how to assist people when they are injured or have been involved in an accident. This badge gives you the skills needed to help others.
- Completed the first aid section of the Adventurer advancement badge.
- Know how to use reverse charges on a public phone, know to use a cell phone and know the emergency number on the various networks.
- Explain the principles and limitations of yourself as the first aider or first responder and the procedure to hand over the scene to an adult first aider or trained professional.
- Describe the safety precautions when dealing with sick and injured patients,
- including your own safety.
- Discuss with the examiner the signs and symptoms of the following:
- hypo and hyperglycaemia (low and high blood sugar)
- sprains and fractures
- Demonstrate how to:
- assist someone who is choking
- stop severe bleeding
- Describe the treatment of superficial, partial and full thickness burns.
- Have a good theoretical and practical knowledge of CPR and be able to demonstrate the correct procedures (currently accepted compression and ventilation rates).
- Explain how to transport an injured person and demonstrate two methods of doing so.
- Assemble your own personal first aid kit and know how to use everything in it.
- As part of a team of at least three other scouts and using your personal first aid kit, take part in two simulated incidents set by the examiner. The incidents should also revise first aid at pathfinder and adventurer levels.
The first aid Scoutcraft badge is only valid for three years.
Requirements in PDF