Guide Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Show that you have an intimate personal knowledge, gained through your own exploring and investigation, of the locality around your scout hall or home, by marking the following on a street plan or map which must be submitted to the examiner:
- Chief government and municipal /village buildings.
- The location of doctors, veterinary surgeons, dentists, hospital and ambulance.
- Fire station, police station, service stations and public telephones.
- Bus stops, railway station(s), and airport (if any), and the routes of buses and trains to surrounding areas.
- Main highways to neighbouring suburbs, cities, towns and villages.
- Schools, churches, synagogues, public parks, theatres, cinemas, museums, public conveniences and any building or place of local interest.
- Your scout hall, and the homes of your District Commissioner, Group Scouters, Asst Troop Scouters and the Scouts in your Patrol (if they live in the area covered). OR
- The houses, features and landmarks of an area of 5 kilometre radius from your village.
- Details of paths, trees, crops and streams in this area.
- Details of roads, main highways and tracks in this area.
- Buildings which house people of authority in the vicinity. NOTE: The area to be covered is a 5 kilometre radius from your Group HQ or home in the country; 3 kilometres in towns/ villages of up to 20 000 inhabitants; and 1 kilometre in towns/cities of over 20 000 inhabitants.
- Satisfy the examiner that you are able to guide strangers by day or night to any of the places mentioned in (1) above without reference to your street plan or map.
- Produce evidence that you have thoroughly explored an area of at least 5 kilometre radius (not around your home or HQ) by submitting a log of your expedition.
NOTE: The logs submitted must give the distance covered and be accompanied, as far as possible, by explanatory sketches, maps and photographs.
- Using timetables where necessary, work out plans for travel by public transport to four different points in southern Africa chosen by the examiner.
Requirements in PDF