Horseman Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Name the fifteen main points of a horse.
- Name four leading breeds of horses. Explain what each is noted for, and be able to recognise pictures of them
- Describe to the examiner what is meant by the following colours as applied to horses:
- strawberry roan
- Show how to groom, pick out feet and care for a horse after riding.
- Demonstrate the following:
- Jump an ordinary fence
- Walk the horse in a straight line for 30 m
- Make a half circle not over 5 m.
- rot in a straight line over 30 m
- Change direction. Change leads or come down to a walk, reverse and take up canter on a proper lead.
- Halt straight.
- Back up straight 4 paces.
- Halt and dismount
- Describe the symptoms of colic and show a knowledge of its correct treatment.
- Name three main defects of the feet and legs and explain how to detect them.
- Name the vaccinations required for a horse and discuss with the examiner the advantages and disadvantages of various de-worming and vaccinations programmes.
- Demonstrate how to dress a saddle and how to repair traces and stirrup leathers
- Name the various parts of a harness.
- Describe the different kinds of leather used in saddlery.
Requirements in PDF