Lifesaver Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- "mouth-to-mouth" resuscitation on a model both in water and on land.
- how to promote warmth and circulation.
- how to put the casualty in the recovery position once he starts to breathe.
- The 7 safety Swimming Steps (trained supervisor, safe swimming area, lifeguard picket, lookout, ability groups, buddy system, and good discipline).
- The order of methods to be followed in water rescue (reach, throw, row, go and tow)
- reaching rescues using such things as arms, legs, branches, sticks, towels, shirts, paddles and poles.
- rescues using things that can be thrown such as lines, ring buoys and free-floating supports such as boat cushions. Throw a 20m life-line to fall between two pegs, twice out of every three throws. The pegs must be 1,2m apart and 12m from the thrower.
- Demonstrate twice that you can take off your clothes (shoes, socks, trousers, belt, long-sleeved shirt and jacket or sweater) in 20 seconds or less. Explain the importance of taking off clothes before a swimming rescue.
- Swim 50m on the back, dressed in shirt and shorts, with a life- line.
- Keeping a struggling person in sight, enter the water. Swim l0m. Make the correct approach and demonstrate:
- A "shirt-tail" rescue. Carry shirt in teeth or hand. Swing one end of the shirt to the hands of the drowning person. Tow the person 10m.
- A method of rescue and of release in the water with a person about the size of the rescuer. Tow the person 10m
- Swim 50m in shirt, shorts and socks and undress in the water without touching the bottom.
- Dive from the surface of the water to a depth of at least 1,5m and bring up a stone, brick or iron object of not less than 2kg in mass at least twice out of three times.
- Standing waist deep in water, throw a life-line to within one metre of a small object 18 m away.
- Perform in the water four methods of rescue (one to be the "Unigrip") and three methods of release from the clutch of a drowning person.
The person is to be about the size of the rescuer and must be carried at least 15m by each method.
Requirements in PDF