Observation Scoutcraft Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A badge to challenge you senses and teach you the great bushman art of observation and tracking. This badge is a prerequisite for the Veldcraft Interest Badge.
|“||If you make listening and observation your occupation you will gain much more than you can by talk.||”|
|— Robert Baden-Powell|
- Play Kim's Game and after one minute of observation remember correctly 24 out of 30 well-assorted articles. The test is to be repeated twice running with different articles and each article is to be adequately described.
- Blindfolded, correctly identify 8 out of 10 simple sounds by hearing only.
- Blindfolded, identify 8 out of 10 common substances by smell only.
- Blindfolded, identify 12 out of 15 common articles by touch only.
- Explain the characteristics of human footprints, with and without boots or shoes. Be able to identify correctly the following tracks made by a person in sand or soft earth: walking; walking backwards; limping; carrying a weight; running
- Correctly identify the following cloud formations (from pictures where natural examples are not available), and explain the weather associated with each:
- Make three plaster casts of the tracks of wild animals or birds, or make 5 sketches of different animal or bird tracks that you have observed out-of-doors. Identify the tracks.
- Correctly identify 10 different makes or models of cars on the road OR correctly identify 10 different types of trees OR leaves OR insects OR birds in the outdoors.
Requirements in PDF