Ornithologist Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the main descriptive terms for the parts of a bird's anatomy by pointing out on a diagram:
- The bill, legs, cere, shoulder, tail, vent, chest, back and iris
- Ten of the following: Lores, culmen, upper mandible, lower mandible, front crown, nape, mantle, rump, flank, abdomen, breast, throat, chin, primaries, secondaries, axillaries, tarsus, ear coverts, cheek and gape.
- Describe eight types of habitat used by birds.
- Select FIVE of the following categories and name 3 birds from each. Point out the main field characteristics:
- ground feeders;
- arboreal feeders;
- aquatic feeders;
- aerial feeders;
- waterside feeders
- heron family;
- large raptors (greater than 450 mm in length)
- small raptors (less than 450 mm in length)
- From slides, photographs, or diagrams shown by the examiner, identify 10 out of 20 birds which can reasonably be expected to live within 50 km of your home.
- Name and briefly describe:
- Five migratory birds drawn from at least three different families
- Five birds from the duck family, or five birds that inhabit the desert regions
- Three brood parasites
- Two territorial birds
- Two birds that look alike, but which are from different families; or two birds from the same family that have vastly different feeding habits.
- Explain the term "breeding plumage" and give three examples.
- Complete one of the following:
- Keep a log of bird sightings over a period of two weather seasons. OR
- Keep a log of bird sightings on one or more expeditions organised for the specific purpose, totalling more than five days. Describe the habitats of at least 10 of the birds. OR
- Produce a set of colour slides, colour or black-and-white photographs of birds taken on one or more bird-watching expeditions totalling more than five days. Be able to identify at least 10 of the species in the photographs and describe their habitats.
These photographs need not necessarily have been taken by you yourself, but must have been taken by one or more members of the party who took part in the expedition/expeditions with you.
Requirements in PDF