Pioneer Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Have passed the Pioneering Scoutcraft Badge, or complete all the requirements for it
- Discuss with the examiner types of ropes and cordage (including man-made fibres) with particular regard to suitability for the job, strength and general care. Know the dangers of recoil and fracturing under strain.
- Using a rope which you have whipped using the sailmaker's whipping, make the following knots, hitches and lashings with a high degree of efficiency:
- Demonstrate the following:
- A Spanish windlass.
- A rope tackle (Harvester's hitch).
- Mousing a hook.
- Reeving a 3-2 tackle.
- Seizing a rope end.
- Moving heavy weights by means of sheer legs, lever spar, parbuckle, and block and tackle. Know the purchase of various arrangements of block and tackle.
- Removing a stubborn picket (lever spar).
- Different types of anchorages, and when to use each type.
- Discuss with the examiner the need for safety and the dangers which arise from negligent leadership, ill-discipline, misuse of and overloading of gear, incorrect practices and bad planning.
- Construct a model of a pioneering project chosen from the list in (7) below, to a scale 1:20. Discuss with the examiner the purpose and advantages of constructing a model and then lead a team of at least four Scouts in constructing the project.
- Lead a team of no fewer than four Scouts in the construction of a project selected from the following list and take part as a member of a team of four Scouts in the construction of two other projects from the lists.
Choose ONE PROJECT FROM EACH SECTION: A, BAND C
- A tower with a platform height of at least 4 m above the ground.
- A fun-type project such as: an aerial runway (know the aerial runway code), a swingboat, a merry-go-round, swinging derrick, a pile-driver or similar project approved by the examiner.
- A monkey bridge, suspension bridge (Abington spring bridge or similar), draw-bridge or any other bridge of equal complexity approved by the examiner.
(It is important that the project selected from this section shall make use of at least one block and tackle, a 3-2-1 or a log-and-picket holdfast.)
Requirements in PDF