Religion and Life Scoutcraft Badge
Requirements for the following faiths are available on request from SAHQ and local Scout shops Christian; Hindu; Jewish; Muslim.
NOTE: The Examiner must either be a Minister/ Priest of the religious body to which the Scout belongs, or some person appointed by their religious body.
- SCRIPTURE KNOWLEDGE: Locate in the relevant text in your own Bible and explain two stories ONE from each of the Sections a and b:
- Moses; Samuel; Gideon
- Jesus calling his Disciples; Healing of the Centurion
- PRACTICE: Regularly attend Sunday School or your place of worship. Give Thanks (say Grace).
- Explain the meaning of Prayer.
- Say a short prayer on a given subject.
- Name the Gospels and the Epistles and know the difference in meaning.
- Explain the difference between the Old Testament and the New Testament. State the number of books in each.
- GENERAL: Answer questions relating to your religious order and procedures at the discretion of the Examiner, who will bear in mind your age.
- Recite the 10 Commandments and explain their meaning.
- Read in Hebrew - V'Ahavta, Avat, Kiddush.
- Maintain regular attendance at Synagogue services (Friday evening and Saturday morning) for at least six months.
- Read and interpret Friday evening and Saturday morning services.
- Describe the work of at least 3 charitable organisations to which you have made a contribution.
- Give brief outline of Jewish history from division of the Kingdom down to Babylonian Exile.
- Name the first 3 Kings of Israel and tell something about each.
- Read a book of Jewish biography or history and tell about its contents.
- Detailed explanation of principles of Islaam (Arkanul Islam).
- Read: Payamber - the messenger. Three parts.
- Describe the work of three charitable Islamic organizations.
- Study of the Prophet Ebrahim.
- Study of Qur'anic verses with regard to parents and the relevant Ahadeeth.
- Fard solaah to be observed.
- Regular attendance of a madrasah.
- Possess a translation Qur'aan (Yusuf Ali translation)
- Chant the Mantras of the Ishwar Upasana and give their meanings.
- Maintain regular attendance at religious services.
- Know the significance of
- Rem Navami;
- Krishna Asthami.
- Describe the welfare and humanitarian work of
- The Ayran Benevolent Home;
- The Divine Life Society;
- The Ramakrishna Centre;
- Any other body.
- Study the lives of the following
- Swami Vivakananda;
- Swami savananda;
- Swami Dayananda;
- Meera Bai;
- Read the contents of "The Elementary teachings of Hinduism" (A Veda Nikatan Pub.)
- Read and know Chapters two, three and four of the Bhagavad Gita.
Requirements in PDF