Ship Quartermaster Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Demonstrate the correct method of taking rope off a new coil.
- Demonstrate the method of taking down rope for running out.
- Describe the principal parts of a block.
- Identify the following types of blocks and demonstrate them in use:
- Single block
- Single block with fast eye and swivel eye
- Single block with becket and hook
- Scratch or check block
- Self-locking block with snap shackle
- Fiddle block with shackle
- Double block with swivel eye
- Double block with shackle.
- Demonstrate the method of belaying.
- Describe the principal parts of an anchor.
- Identify three types of anchors and differentiate between their uses.
- Describe and execute the safest method of anchoring to suit the conditions.
- Demonstrate the use of a trip line and pickIup buoys.
- Demonstrate the correct method of mooring a boat to a pier.
- Demonstrate how to take care of sails, sheets and standing rigging.
- Demonstrate how to leave a pulling boat or sailing dinghy:
- After a day's activity
- For a short spell, eg lunch break, or when called for instruction.
- Demonstrate how to load a boat with stores and personnel and show how to trim the boat correctly.
- For a boating camp of 32 Scouts for at least 5 nights, draw up a detailed list of the equipment (including boat and food required. Plan a balanced menu, make a food list, price it, work out the cost per head and after your budget has been approved, buy the food.
Requirements in PDF