Space Explorer Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Demonstrate a knowledge of the history and development of space exploration.
- Describe the purpose of two recent space probes and two recently launched satellites giving the main types of instruments used.
- Explain briefly how FIVE of the following problems (your own choice) are overcome in a manned spacecraft:
- Breathing and communication.
- Show that you have a knowledge of the following:
- Reason for weightlessness in orbit or trajectory
- The thrust obtained by rockets
- Something of the part played by South Africa in space projects
- The stage of acceleration and separation for a satellite to go into orbit round the earth; and re-entry problems
- The fuel system used in space rockets
- The control of a satellite
- A particular current space programme and its purpose
- Demonstrate your knowledge of the scale of the Solar system by preparing a model showing the relative positions of the planets and their main satellites.
- Build a model of a space shuttle or capsule and rocket.
Requirements in PDF