Stop bleeding by using direct pressure
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- NEVER TOUCH a bleeding wound on anyone except yourself, unless you have your hand covered by plastic gloves or a plastic bag.
- Remember to wash your hands before treating a cut on yourself.
- With a cloth or handkerchief folded apply pressure on the wound with your fingers flat together.
- Check if the bleeding has stopped, if not apply pressure again.
- If you have a first aid box handy cover the wound with a clean handkerchief and tie gently around the injured part, using a reef knot to the tie the ends.
- If the person needs to go to hospital, an adult will take over.
- Remember when removing your glove or plastic bag to take if off in a way that it is inside out, thus leaving the blood inside the glove or bag.