The African Seeds of Scouting
A collection of African Heritage in Scouting, from Ashanti to Zulu, the African Seeds of Scouting brings together the links between the continent of Africa, and the origins of the worldwide Scout movement.
It concentrates on some of Baden-Powell's earliest ideas which led to Scouting (Mafeking, the Matabele, the Zulu, the Ashanti) and the stories he wrote about Africa in Scouting for Boys. It also gives the origins of Scouting traditions which came from Africa: the Wood Badge Beads, the Left Handshake, and the Kudu Horn.
The seed to the right is from an African tree which propagates by dropping its seed into water, where it is distributed over river shores and ocean beaches by the winds and the currents. In the same way, the African Seeds of Scouting have spread to many different shores, and Scouting has taken root around the whole world.
- Mafeking and the origin of Scouting
- Baden-Powell's game of Bluff
- Mafeking cadets - the first Boy Scouts
- Sydney and Ramsay Harrhy - Mafeking cadets
- Warner Goodyear - the first Scout
- Ingonyama - he is a lion!
- The wolf that never sleeps
- The Matebele and the Matopos
- Kenya - Baden-Powell's home and death
The History of Scouting in South Africa - How the organisation began, and its growth from division to unity.
- The African Seeds of Scouting is assembled by Ian Webb for SCOUTS South Africa.
- Special thanks to Lew Orans of the Pine Tree Web whose web site and personal encouragement provided much inspiration to this site.
- The Pine Tree Web home page - This page has a wealth of information on Scouting history and traditions. There is a library of works by and relating to Baden-Powell.
- Scouting Milestones - Lots of information and photos about Mafeking, Baden-Powell and the history of Scouting
- Boy Scouts of America History and Traditions - Traditions and history relating to World Scouting and the BSA.
- The Mafeking Stamps - On the pages of the Scouts on Stamps Society International.
- Scouting Online - Mafeking - Some stories from the Siege of Mafeking
- A Scouting Timeline - Major dates in the life of B-P and the history of Scouting, from ScoutBase UK