Timeline of Scout Organisation in the Western Cape

From SCOUTS South Africa Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
1908 On the 3rd March 1908, South Africa's first Scout Troop (1st Claremont) was formed at Claremont Public School. The first Scoutmaster of the first Scout Troop in South Africa was George French, who was the headmaster at the Claremont Public School in Cape Town. George French
1909 To ensure some standard Policy, the Imperial Scout Headquarters in London appointed Major J.C. Hanna as the first Commissioner to take charge of the newly registered Cape Colony, with its Headquarters in Cape Town. Major J.C. Hanna
1910 Viscount Gladstone appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Sc outing in South Africa developed separately in each province until 1923, although as early as 1910, when the Union government came about, Lord Herbert John Gladstone (1854 to 1930) the first Governor General 1910 to 1914, accepted the office of the first Chief Scout for South Africa at the invitation of the Imperial Headquarters in London. Lord Herbert John Gladstone
1912 Major JP Edwards takes over as Commissioner, Chairman of the Scoutmasters Association and Executive Officer. (The Cub Edward Shield is later named after Major Ed wards in 1918 in his honour). Provincial Council formed for Western Cape Scouts and this was affiliated to the Imperial Headquarters in London. Lord Robert Baden - Powell visits Cape Scouting with a rally of 350 Scouts at Rhodes Memorial - this establish es Scouting firmly in the Cape. During BP’s visit, he recommends that because the Cape Province is so large, a Chief Scout for the Cape Province be appointed. Sir Frederick de Waal (1853 to 1932) takes up this post until 1926 when the Province is spilt into three Divisions. Chapman's Peak Drive was the brain child of Sir Frederic de Waal, the first administrator of the Cape Province 1910 to 1925. De Waal Drive in Cape Town was named after him when officially opened in 1922. Major JP Edwards
1914 Viscount Buxton appoint ed Chief Scout of South Africa. Sydney Charles Buxton (1853 to 1934 ) was appointed Governor - General of the Union of South Africa in February 1914 to 1920. Viscount Buxton
1915 Mrs M.L.E. White was the First Cub Master in South Africa to establish the first Cub Pack 7th Cape Town (Gardens) in 1915. Cubbing officially started World wide in 1916, thus this makes 7th Cape Town Cub Pack the oldest in the World. Mrs M.L.E. White
1917 Provincial Council constitution changed to create four Divisional Councils – Western, Border, Midlands and Northern Cape.
1919 Lewis Mansergh is appointed the first Provincial Commissioner.
1920 Prince Arthur of Connaught appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Arthur Frederick Patrick Albert (1883 to 1938) was Governor - General of the Union of South Africa from 1920 to 1923. Prince Arthur of Connaught
1923 During the period 1908 to 1922 each Province had direct affiliation to the Imperial Headquarters in London. In 1923 the Union Scout Council was formed as an umbrella body joining the existing provinces, but only as an advisory body.
1924 The Earl of Athlone is appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Alexander Augustus Frederick William Alfred George Cambridge or simply Lord Athlone (1874 to 1957) appointed Governor - General of the Union of South Africa 1924 to 1931, in succession to his cousin, HRH Prince Arthur of Connaught. Athlone , a suburb of Cape Town , was named after him. The Earl of Athlone
1926 First ‘Gilwell Park’ in the Cape known as ‘Gilcape’ is established for Adult Leader Training. This site was a piece of land belonging to Carl ‘Serpent’ and Doris ‘Gilkela’ Rayner behind their house in Diep River.
1927 Major J H Smithers is appointed acting Provincial Commissioner during the change over from Provincial to Divisional structure. Major J H Smithers
Cedric G Withinshaw is appointed as the first Divisional Commissioner. Cedric G Withinshaw
The Union Scout Council extends its powers and creates a new constitution with full authority to perform those functions and duties of the Imperial Headquarters that pertain to South Africa.
1930 The Imperial Scout Headquarters in London grants complete independence to the Scout Movement in South Africa triggering the creation of yet another constitution.
1931 The Earl of Clarendon is appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. George Herbert Hyde Villiers the 6th Earl of Clarendon (1877 to 1955) served as Governor - General of the Union of South Africa from 1931 to 1937. The Earl of Clarendon
1934 Pathfinder (Coloured) Council of the Cape Division formed, the Cape Western Division having a Bokmakierie bird emblem, while the National Symbol was an Arrow head used along with the Standard Fleur-de-lis Scout Emblem.
Note: In many of the British Colonies where Scouting was established, it was at first segregated by race, and South Africa was no exception. The Pathfinder Council served the Coloured community as the Boy Scouts Association of the Union of SA was confined to members of European descent.
Pathfinder Council emblem Pathfinder National Symbol
Captain Piffy F.F. White is the Founder and appointed first Divisional Commissioner of the Coloured (Pathfinder) Section. Captain Piffy F.F. White
1936 The new constitution of the Boy Scouts Association of the Union of SA, adopted in 1936 was signed on 18 January 1937 by Lord Clarendon as Chief Scout. It provided for the creating of three parallel autonomous constitutions* for African, Coloured and Indian Scout Associations under the leadership of a Chief Scouts Commissioner. Pathfinder (Coloured) Council of the Cape Division is recognised.
*Under these constitutions autonomy was granted, save that powers of restraint were reserved to the European Council in the case of acts or resolutions deemed to be to detrimental to the Boy Scout movement in South Africa. The Chief Scout of South Africa however, held this position in relation to all four movements.
1937 Sir Patrick Duncan appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Sir Patrick Duncan ( 1870 to 1943 ) was Governor - General of the Union of South Africa , from 1937 to 1943. Sir Patrick died in office, in 1943. His ashes were interred in a monument at the Duncan Dock in Cape Town harbour, which was named after him. Sir Patrick Duncan
Rev S.J. Fort appointed Divisional Commissioner of the Coloured Section. Rev S.J. Fort
South Africa is granted membership to the International Bureau, the body controlling World Scouting.
1940 Dr Frederick H Dommisse appointed Divisional Commissioner. Dr Frederick H Dommisse
A new bigger Gilcape (opposite the Rayner's house in Diep River) is bought by Mrs Withinshaw of Wynberg, and given to the Boy Scouts. Shortly after adjoining land is purchased by the Division, with the Main Road and Diep River as boundaries.
1943 The RT Hon. H J De Wet appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Nicolaas Jacobus de Wet ( 1873 to 1960 ) was Chief Justice of South Africa declined the title of, but acted out the post of Governor - General of the Union of South Africa from 1943 to 1945. The RT Hon. H J De Wet
1945 The Coloured Boy Scout Association is formed on the 12 January 1945.
Dommisse Hut (named after the Divisional Commissioner - today Ash Valley Hut) on Table Mountain is given to Western Cape Divisional Scouting by the Cape Town Municipality. Dommisse Hut
Right Honourable Gideon Brand van Zyl appointed Chief Scout. Gideon Brand van Zyl (1873 - 1956) was Governor - General of the Union of South Africa from 1945 to 1951. He was the first South African - born holder of the office. Right Honourable Gideon Brand van Zyl
1949 Mr Jack H Allies appointed the 1st Chief Scouts Commissioner for the Coloured Section. Mr Jack H Allies
1950 Visit by the Chief Scout of the UK and Dependant Territories Lord Rowallan and associated Rally held at the Rosebank Show grounds. Lord Rowallan
Gilcape Diep River sold (purchaser builds the Three Arts Theatre on the grounds) and a new Gilcape at Eersterivier is bought by the Division for Western Cape Scouting. Gilcape Diep River
1951 Sir Herbert Stanley appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. (Sir Herbert was a retired governor 1935 - 1942 of Southern Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe). Sir Herbert Stanley
Scout Mountain Club of SA (SMC of SA) is established and holds the first inaugural meeting on 29 July 1951 at the Dommisse Hut on Table Mountain. Scout Mountain Club of SA
1953 E Percy Fo wle appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. The first official Divisional Jamborally was held in Stellenbosch and attended by 400 boys. E Percy Fo
1955 Dr Arnold Hugh Tonkin appointed Divisional Commissioner. (The Tonkin Trophy is named after Dr Tonkin in his honour). Dr Arnold Hugh Tonkin
1958 Alex Harold ‘Silver Fox’ Maspero appointed Divisional Commissioner. Alex Harold ‘Silver Fox’ Maspero
Lt Col AH Johnstone appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Lt Col AH Johnstone
Mr Charles Thebus appointed Chief Scouts Commissioner of the Coloured Section. Mr Charles Thebus
Gilray Officially opening by the Cape Town Mayor Mrs Joyce Newton - Thompson. Gilray Officially opening
1960 Cape Western Divisional Headquarters moves to 86 Bree Street Cape Town, buying the property at a cost of £10 750. Headquarters remains there for 40 years until the end of 2000 when it moves to Goodwood. Cape Western Divisional Headquarters
Alex ‘Jakala’ Philander is appointed Divisional Commissioner or the Coloured Section. Alex ‘Jakala’ Philander
1963 Frank Oliver "Kudu" Quinn takes over leadership of the African section of the Cape Western Provincial Division as their Divisional Commissioner. Frank Oliver "Kudu" Quinn
1965 Dommisse Hut (due to constant vandalism and theft) exchanged for the present SMC (Scout Mountain Club) hut on Table Mountain, near the Woodhead Reservoir. Dommisse Hut 1965
1966 During 1966 a new South African Scout Logo was introduced.
1968 Aaron Domingo appointed Chief Scout Com Coloured Section. Aaron Domingo
Colin James Inglis appointed Divisional Commissioner. Colin James Inglis
Carveth Geach appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Carveth Geach
1969 First Senior Scout Cederberg Adventure held in December with 141 Scouts. The driving force behind creating the Adventure was Colin Ingles. He was also the organiser for many years and the Adventure was seen as the “cherry on top” of the Scout’s career. Senior Scout Cederberg Adventure Badge
1970 Sandvlei Sea Scout base opened on 28th November by Admiral Bierman. Sandvlei Sea Scout base
1973 Charles Martin appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Charles Martin
1977 Hurbert William Garnet De La Hunt appointed Divisional Commissioner. Hurbert William Garnet De La Hunt
Colin James Inglis appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Colin James Inglis
At a conference known as Quo Vadis a new constitution was adopted which integrated all four associations into an organisation called Boy Scouts of South Africa.
1978 Frank Oliver "Kudu" Quinn appointed first Western Cape Area Commissioner by the Chief Scout of SA. "Kudu" Quinn was Editor of The Cape Western Scouter for many years. (The Quinn Trophy is named after "Kudu" Quinn in his honour). Frank Oliver "Kudu" Quinn
Mr William van Graan resigned as Divisional Commissioner of Athlone Division and his place temporary filled by John Thomas the Assistant Chief Scout.
1979 The first National Scout Council of the four combined Associations was held in the Athlone Scout Centre with Colin Inglis as the new Chief Scout of the united South African Scout Association.
Hurbert William Garnet De La Hunt appointed Area Commissioner from 1st May 1979. Hurbert William Garnet De La Hunt
1985 Norman John Osburn appointed Area Commissioner on 1 st July 1985. Norman John Osburn
Hurbert William Garnet De La Hunt appointed Chief Scout of South Africa on 1 st July 1985. Hurbert William Garnet De La Hunt
1986 Hawequas Scout Ranch near Wellington is bought for Western Cape Scouting. Gilcape in Eersterivier was sold (due to urban sprawl and constant thefts from / on the property). Scouting looses huge developments at Gilcape like the Clifford Harris Climbing Wall, Mount Inglisberg and Lake Bennington. Hawequas Scout Ranch
1990 Brian De Lacey Figaji appointed Area Commissioner on 1st September 1990. Brian De Lacey Figaji
1995 Nkwenkwe Nkomo appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Nkwenkwe Nkomo
1997 Peter Foster appointed Area Commissioner. Peter Foster
1998 André Bredenkamp appointed Area Commissioner. André Bredenkamp
2000 After 40 years at 86 Bree Street, Cape Town, the Cape Western Divisional (now Area) Headquarters moves to Milton Road, Goodwood. 86 Bree Street
2001 The Scout Association of South Africa now allows girls to join Cubs and Scouts
2002 Brian February appointed Area Commissioner on 1 st September 2002. Brian February
2005 Vukile Mehana appointed Chief Scout of South Africa. Vukile Mehana
2008 Llewellyn James Van Aarde appointed Provincial Commissioner (Area renamed Province). Cub entry age changed to 7 years old. Llewellyn James Van Aarde
2013 Paddy Milner appointed Provincial Commissioner on 1st May 2013. Paddy Milner