Voyager Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
NOTE: This badge may be taken in either a pulling-boat, sailboat or motorboat.
- Hold the Charge Certificate applicable to the type of craft chosen and the water./li>
- Plan and lead an expedition by boat of 48 hours' duration, sleeping out for at least two nights (on land or water). The distance travelled by boat must be at least 15 km. During the expedition carry out the following:
- Display a knowledge of local safety rules, adverse local weather conditions, "Rules of the Road", Beaufort wind and sea scales, the different types of lighthouses etc. in general use, and the danger, storm and fog signals. Explain what to do in case of an emergency, who the relevant authorities are and how to contact them.
- Rescue a man overboard; complete a course of at least 8 compass bearings; tow another craft to safety; rescue the crew of another boat about to sink (the other boat is to have the same number of members in the crew as your boat); rig from normal equipment in your boat a jury rudder and steer over a set course with at least three direction changes.
- On completion of the expedition produce a log of the trip. The log must include:
- Large scale (1:10 000) charts of the complete trip. The charts must show landmarks, soundings, underwater hazards, buoys, channel markers etc
- Crew duties
- Activities undertaken during the trip
- Stores, equipment and kit lists.
- Explain overnight procedures and the equipment required.
Requirements in PDF