Woodcraftsman Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Keep a woodcraft diary of two of the seasons - Spring, Summer, Winter and Autumn - containing records with dates and places of observation of not fewer than 10 birds or plants, 10 trees and 10 butterflies or moths. Give a short account of other animals which have been seen and illustrate the records with pencil sketches, carbon impressions or leaves of pressed specimens.
- Do one of the following alternatives (A, B or C):
- Make a collection of 50 different species of wild flowers, ferns and grasses, trees and shrubs, giving names, places and dates, soil and water conditions, size and other useful information; and recognise them as well as give a short description of 10 of the specimens. OR
- Make a collection of photographic or carbon impressions or sketches or plaster casts of leaves of 20 trees and 5 shrubs; giving the names of the trees and shrubs from which they came. OR
- Make 15 sketches from life, or photographs of birds or animals, and give a description of their habits.
- Demonstrate evidence of an intelligent interest in the whole field of nature and with particular regard to ONE of the following:
- Trees and shrubs
- Wild flowers
- Bird life
- Butterflies or moths and insects
- Wild animals
- Ferns or grasses
- Seashore or pond life
- Rocks and fossils
and produce collections, specimens, log books etc as the pursuit may warrant.
- Discuss with the examiner your observation and the sources of information (museums etc.) you may have used.
Requirements in PDF