Charting Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Have obtained the Charts Scoutcraft Badge or complete all the requirements for it and be able to re-demonstrate those skills.
- Explain what is meant by the following:
- Compass Rose
- True Course
- Magnetic Course
- Swinging a compass
- Demonstrate a knowledge of map projections by:
- Explaining why projections are necessary.
- Give two examples of projections and explain how they are created and the pros and cons of each.
- Explain the concept of a spheroid and know which datum is used in South Africa.
- Demonstrate how to use a Portland Plotter.
- Plot a course to bring your vessel into harbour. This course must include a minimum of five waypoints and account for traffic separation schemes, tidal flows, channels, and vessel draft. Provide your watch keeper with a list of compass courses to steer, co-ordinates of the waypoints, and time to steam between each waypoint at a speed of five knots over the ground. (SoG).
- Create a chart to scale 1:5 000 for an area not less than 1 square nautical mile. The chart must include a minimum of 20 soundings and land-based features useful for navigation.
Requirements in PDF