Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Pack Scouter or PS is the adult leader responsible for the leadership of a Cub Pack. This post is commonly referred to as a "cubmaster" in older scouting literature.
Purpose of the Pack Scouter
To lead, manage and coordinate the effective implementation of the Cub Training Programme in the Pack in accordance with the SCOUTS South Africa (SSA) Constitution, Organisational Rules and Policies.
To develop and support and educate the Youth Members.
Funtions of the Pack Scouter
The following functions of the Pack Scouter were outlined in the SCOUTS South Africa job description of the role:
- Manage and represent the Pack:
- Take full responsibility for the Pack, as referred to in Organisational Rules.
- Attend Sixer Council and Group Committee Meetings.
- Arrange and chair Pack Scouters' (PSs') Meetings, as required to effectively deliver the programme to the youth.
- Ensure that Pack Meetings are properly and timeously planned, and held on a weekly basis.
- Ensure that Pack Records are properly maintained and kept up-to-date; these should also be captured on or uploaded to the National database. The PS is responsible for ensuring these are maintained.
- Ensure the active involvement of all Assistant Pack Scouters (APSs) in activities and meetings.
- Review the outcomes of Star Pack and Patrol evaluations with the APSs to plan strategically for the improvements of the implementation of the Cub Programme.
- Support and enable the activities in the Group:
- Ensure that at least one Cub Camp / Pack Holiday per annum is run in strict accordance with the Policies and Rules pertaining to camping with Cubs.
- Promote and maintain good parent contact through best means available.
- Encouraging the growth of Scouting:
- Actively support Group, District, Regional and National events and projects.
- Recruitment, Mentoring and Training:
- Ensure each new recruit is thoroughly trained in the Cub Promise and Law in preparation for Membership of the Pack.
- Ensure that the necessary camp and/or activities required for Cubs to complete the Link Badge are run.
- Ensure each Cub progresses, in accordance with age and ability, through the requirements of the Cub Programme.
- Grow the Pack through the recruitment of new members.
- Perform an annual Personal Development Review (PDR) with the APSs.
- Whatever else the Scout Group Leader (SGL) might reasonably require of the PS in the best interests of SSA and the Pack.
- Undergo an annual PDR with the SGL.
- Job Description: Pack Scouter - August 2018