Ship Quartermaster Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Demonstrate the correct method of taking rope off a new coil.
- Demonstrate the method of taking down rope for running out.
- Describe the principal parts of a block.
- Identify the following types of blocks and demonstrate them in use:
- Single block.
- Single block with fast eye and swivel eye.
- Single block with becket and hook.
- Scratch or check block.
- Self-locking block with snap shackle.
- Fiddle block with shackle.
- Double block with swivel eye.
- Double block with shackle.
- Demonstrate the method of belaying.
- Describe the principal parts of an anchor.
- Identify three types of anchors and differentiate between their uses.
- Describe and execute the safest method of anchoring to suit the conditions.
- Demonstrate the use of a trip line and pick-up buoys.
- Demonstrate the correct method of mooring a boat to a dock or jetty.
- Demonstrate how to store and take care of sails, sheets, and standing rigging.
- Demonstrate how to leave a pulling boat or sailing dinghy:
- After a day's activity.
- For a short spell, e.g. lunch break, or when called for instruction.
- Demonstrate how to load a boat with stores and personnel and show how to trim the boat correctly.
- Explain how to safely store and handle flammable liquids and gasses.
Requirements in PDF