Train the trainer
Jump to navigation Jump to search
An important aspect of scouting is the need to pass the knowledge and skills on to the younger members of your patrol (or six). Learning-by-doing is key in to the scouting method
The EDGE method
- Tell them how to do the job.
- Explain the steps
- Give written instructions.
- Show how you do it.
- Use videos and animation
- Repeat the task a few times
- Watch the scout do the task, correct as they go wrong
- Allow the scouts to make the mistakes for themselves in a safe environment.
- Challenge them to find other ways to achieve the same end.
- Get them to teach someone else - teaching is a good way to test your knowledge.
- Give the correct situation to use this new skill.
- Where to find more information on the subject or skill.