Wave Rider Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Have passed the Swimming Scoutcraft Badge or complete all the requirements for it.
- Demonstrate how to care for a surfboard/body-board/paddle-ski.
- Discuss the local rules governing wave riding. There should be strong emphasis on safe practices, beach safety signals, courtesy, and etiquette in the water.
- This badge must be passed in a good surf break with recognised peaking waves which will enable the scout to recognise where the peaks are breaking and must position themselves correctly for take-off.
- Show control of your board in waves up to two metres high.
- Show understanding of weather conditions suitable for wave riding.
- Discuss with the examiner the condition of the surf.
- Show control of your board/ski in all sizes of waves (up to 1.5 metres) and accomplish 3 different turns within a single ride.
- Have logged at least 30 hours of surfing.
- Assist a fellow surfer who has lost their board back to shore.
- Know how competitions are judged.
Requirements in PDF