Weathercaster Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Previously Weatherman Scout Interest Badge)
- Keep from your own observation a daily record of the weather for one month, using Beaufort letters and symbols, and including the following:
- Wind force and direction.
- Cloud-types and conditions.
- Barometer readings.
- Construct a simple rain gauge and a wind vane and use these instruments to record the wind direction and rainfall for (1).
- Explain the formation of rain, thunderstorms, snow, sleet, hail, fog, and rime.
- Recognise and name six different cloud formations and explain their significance.
- Explain the purposes and principles of
- Simple thermometer.
- Wet and dry thermometer.
- Understand the following:
- Relative humidity.
- Buys-Ballot's Law.
- cold front and warm front.
- Explain how weather forecasts are compiled and how this information is disseminated to the public. Have a knowledge of synoptic weather maps and be able to read one. Explain how radar, satellites and electronics are used in weather forecasting. Illustrate any explanation with a diagram.
- Discuss with the examiner at least two natural signs foretelling fine weather and two foretelling bad weather as applicable to your own area.
Requirements in PDF