Jump to navigation Jump to search
The Den Scouter or DS is the adult leader responsible for the leadership of a Meerkat Den.
This role is not to be confused with "den master" or "denmaster", which are terms commonly used to describe a Rover acting as quartermaster or maintenance officer in a Rover Crew.
Purpose of the Den Scouter
To lead, manage and coordinate the effective implementation of the Meerkat Programme in the Meerkat Den, in accordance with the SCOUTS South Africa (SSA), Constitution, Organisational Rules and Policies.
To develop, support and educate the Youth Members
Funtions of the Den Scouter
The following functions of the Den Scouter were outlined in the SCOUTS South Africa job description of the role:
- Manage and represent the Meerkat Den:
- Take full responsibility for the Meerkat Den, as referred to in Organisational Rules.
- Arrange and chair Den Scouters' (DSs') Meetings, as required to effectively deliver the programme to the youth
- Ensure that Meerkat Meetings are properly and timeously planned, and held on a weekly basis.
- Ensure that at least one Meerkat Outing per annum is held in strict accordance with Safe Scouting Policies
- Ensure the active involvement of all Assistant Den Scouters (ADSs) and where possible, Parents, in activities and meetings.
- Ensure that Meerkat Den Records are properly maintained and kept up-to-date. These should also be captured on or uploaded to the National Database.
- Strongly encourage Parents to attend Meerkat Meetings with their children to help strengthen the bond between Parent & Child
- Review the Den performance with the ADSs to plan strategically for the improvements of the Den
- Attend Group Committee Meetings.
- Support and enable the activities in the Group:
- Promote and maintain good parent contact through all available means
- Support Group activities and ensure that the Den participates in these wherever possible
- Encouraging the growth of Scouting:
- Actively support and promote Meerkats at Group, District, Regional and National events and projects.
- Grow the Meerkat Den through the recruitment of new members
- Recruitment, Mentoring and Training:
- Ensure each new recruit is well practiced in their Membership Requirements and prepared to take the Meerkat Promise.
- Ensure that the necessary arrangements are in place for Meerkats to visit a Pack & complete their burrowing up Badge.
- Ensure each Meerkat progresses, in accordance with their ability, through the requirements of the Meerkat Programme.
- Perform an annual Personal Growth Agreement (PGA) Review with the ADSs.
- Whatever else the Scout Group Leader (SGL) might reasonably require of the DS in the best interests of SSA and the Meerkat Den.
- Participate in an annual PGA review with the SGL.
- Job Description: Den Scouter - October 2019