Geocaching Scoutcraft Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- With your parent's permission, go to geocaching.com and register your own "Geocaching handle" on the site.
- Explain the following terms used in geocaching - waypoint, log, cache, accuracy, difficulty and terrain ratings, attributes, trackable. Choose any additional five terms or acronyms used in the game and explain their meaning.
- Show that you know about the Global Positioning System (GPS) by explaining:
- How it works
- The ownership and control of the system
- How its benefits society
- What factors affect its accuracy?
- Discuss and explain the following.
- Why you should never bury a cache.
- How to use proper geocaching etiquette when hiding or seeking a cache, and how to properly hide, post, and maintain a geocache.
- How to apply the principles of "Leave No Trace" when geocaching.
- Explain the most likely hazards you may encounter while participating in geocaching activities and what you should do to anticipate, prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards. Discuss how to properly plan for a geocaching activity, including using the buddy system, sharing your plan with others, and considering the weather, route, and proper attire.
- Accompanied by either your Patrol or by an adult, find and log at least 15 geocaches over a period of no more than 3 months. Of the cache finds, there should be at least 1 Multi-Cache and 1 Mystery or Puzzle Cache.
Requirements in PDF