Carpenter Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Discuss the personal safety precautions which apply in any working situation.
- Discuss with the examiner the specific safety precautions and procedures applicable in a workshop.
- Demonstrate the uses of some of the Handtools used in a carpenter's workshop, as selected by the examiner. Discuss the safety precautions applicable to these Handtools with the examiner.
- In consulting with the examiner, make a simple model incorporating at least four joints using Handtools only.
- Discuss three types of timber used in carpentry/furniture making under the general aspects of origin, characteristics, working properties and uses.
- Discuss with the examiner some of the other materials used in carpentry/furniture making such as laminated board, chipboard, and hardboard.
- Discuss some of the methods of finishing and polishing wood.
- Machine Tools:
- In consultation with the examiner, demonstrate the use of, and safety precautions applicable to at least two different power Handtools, and at least two motor-driven carpentry machines.
- Planning and designing:
- Design a carpentry model of your choice and submit neat sketches showing all dimensions and joints to the examiner.
- Draw up a cutting list for your model.
- Determine a working procedure for your model.
- Either make the model which you have designed in (5),
Present to the examiner a suitable model made by yourself or at your school's carpentry shop.
Requirements in PDF
- Scout Interest Badges
- Draughtsman Interest Badge
- Model Engineer Interest Badge
- Craftsman Interest Badge