First Aid Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Have passed the Scoutcraft First Aid badge and be prepared to demonstrate any of those requirements. OR Complete all the requirements for the Scoutcraft First Aid badge.
- Demonstrate and discuss how you would assess a patient.
- Describe the different types of shock. Explain the signs, symptoms, and demonstrate treatment of shock.
- Discuss with the examiner the signs, symptoms, and treatment (where applicable) of serious bleeding including internal bleeding.
- Demonstrate the use of an improvised bandage to hold a dressing in place on the arm, hand, ankle, and head.
- Demonstrate how to treat 2 different suspected fractures using improvised methods.
- Discuss with the examiner the dangers of fractures to the spine. Demonstrate how to immobilise and log roll a suspected spinal injury.
- Explain and demonstrate how to apply cardiopulmonary resuscitation and how to react to someone who is choking using current acceptable protocols.
- Demonstrate the correct method of lifting a person onto a stretcher.
- Demonstrate 5 methods of transporting patients:
- Fireman's lift.
- Walking assist.
- One-man carry.
- Four-hand seat.
- Two-man carry.
- Discuss the causes and treatment as well as the precautions to take to prevent:
- Cold exposure (hypothermia).
- Heat exhaustion.
- Lead a team of at least three other Scouts deal with 3 different First Aid incidents staged by the examiner.
- Describe the risks associated with, and the treatment for, the following:
- Spider bites
- Wasp/Bee stings (and describe how one would apply an Epi-pen)
- Scorpion stings (and how to identify a venomous scorpion)
- Snake bites (and demonstrate an understanding of the various venoms and their treatment)
Requirements in PDF