Oarsman Scoutcraft Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Pass or have passed the requirements of the Watermanship Scoutcraft Badge.
- Demonstrate how to load a pulling boat with stores and personnel, and how to trim the boat correctly.
- Explain the following:
- Safety rules applicable to boating in your area.
- The International Rules of the Road concerning right of way of power boats, Oarsman boats, canoes, and boats under sail.
- Rules applicable to personal buoyancy.
- How and why you would check the boat for buoyancy.
- Discuss the signs of approaching bad weather as well as fine weather for your area.
- Understand and demonstrate the resuscitation of the apparently drowned.
- Name all the parts of a pulling boat, oars, and rudder.
- On land, cast a heaving line at least 8 metres to fall within 2 markers spaced 2 metres apart.
- Using a gig or similar craft row at least 100 metres double banked, turn the craft as directed and row back. A coxswain may keep the boat straight.
- Log at least 3 hours of pulling. The log must be certified by your Troop Scouter.
Requirements in PDF