Sailing Scoutcraft Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Have passed the Watermanship Scoutcraft Badge.
- Recognise 5 different types of sailing craft.
- Identify and name:
- Main parts of a sailing craft.
- The parts of a sail (Mainsail and Foresail).
- Parts of the rigging.
- Know the signs of approaching bad weather as well as fine weather for your area.
- Explain the following:
- Safety rules applicable to boating in your area.
- The International Rules of the Road concerning right of way of power boats, Oarsman boats, canoes, and boats under sail.
- Rules applicable to personal buoyancy.
- Why and how you would check a boat for buoyancy.
- Demonstrate the following knots:
- How to prevent synthetic ropes from fraying.
- Demonstrate the following:
- Rig a sailing boat and prepare for sailing.
- After sailing, de-rig the boat.
- The proper care and storage of equipment.
- Rescue a conscious man from the water.
- Discuss and carry out capsize drill.
- Show that you are an efficient member of a sailing crew. Take the helm and sail the boat on all points of sailing including getting under way, coming alongside, and making fast.
- Log at least 3 hours of sailing. The log must be certified by your Troop Scouter.
Requirements in PDF