Boatman Scout Interest Badge
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Previously Oarsman (Rowing) Scout Interest Badge)
- Have passed the requirements for the Oarsman Scoutcraft Badge and be prepared to demonstrate any of those requirements. OR Complete all the requirements for the Oarsman Scoutcraft Badge.
- Have passed the requirements for the Swimming Scoutcraft Badge and be prepared to demonstrate any of those requirements. OR Complete all the requirements for the Swimming Scoutcraft Badge.
- List the basic gear, including emergency equipment, that should be carried in a pulling boat.
- Demonstrate how to load a pulling boat with stores and personnel, and how to trim the boat correctly.
- Sketch three types of anchors, label the parts and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each type.
- Explain how to use the Beaufort Wind Scale for determining safe boating conditions.
- Know the dangers of and the precautions to be taken against waterborne diseases (bilharzia, Typhoid, Cholera, etc).
- Demonstrate the following splices:
- As a member of a boat's crew, demonstrate your ability to carry out the following:
- As Stroke:
- Keep an even stroke.
- Change the pace in response to commands.
- As Crew:
- React promptly to commands.
- Feather and trail oars correctly.
- Pull an oar correctly and in time to stroke.
- Have a working knowledge of all the commands.
- As Bowman:
- Drop and weigh anchor correctly on command.
- Take depth soundings.
- Throw a heaving line from Bowman position to land between two markers two metres apart from a distance of approximately ten metres.
- Pick up a small object from the water.
- As Coxswain:
- Maintain boat discipline.
- Execute an emergency stop.
- Approach make fast and cast off from a buoy.
- Pick up a man overboard from the water.
- Scull 50m using a single oar over the transom.
- As Stroke:
- In addition to the requirements for the Oarsman Scoutcraft Badge, log at least seven hours of pulling as crew and three hours as coxswain.
Plan, or assist in planning, and complete a journey of not less than six hours in a pulling boat. Keep a log of the journey. In both cases the log must be certified by your Troop Scouter.
Requirements in PDF
- Scout Interest Badges
- Oarsman Scoutcraft Badge
- Watermanship Scoutcraft Badge
- Sailing Scoutcraft Badge
- Swimming Scoutcraft Badge
- Helmsman Interest Badge