Water Activity Licence
Firstly, a Scout would be required to attend the Water Awareness Licence Course before attempting any further Water Licences.
A Water Licence may be issued for any of the following types of boat:
- Open boats under oars.
- Open boats or decked boats under sail.
- Power boats.
Water Licence Courses include the following:
- Oars Licence.
- Sailing Licence.
- Power boats licence.
A Water Licence Certificate shall further be endorsed for:
- Inland waters with no special difficulties.
- Special inland waters and/or coastal waters.
Water related Licence courses are managed and run by the Regional Sea Scout Training Team and are not part of the normal Scouting Advancement programme.
Water Licence requirements for Scouts:
- The issue or endorsement of a Water Licence Certificate for open boats under oars shall be conditional on the holding of the Oarsman Badge.
- The issue or endorsement of a Water Licence Certificate for open or decked boats under sail shall be conditional on the holding of the Oarsman and Helmsman Badges.
- The issue or endorsement of a Water Licence Certificate for power boats shall be conditional on the holding of the Oarsman and Power Boating Badges and on the possession of an elementary practical knowledge of motors and the ability to effect simple repairs.
- The endorsement of a Water Licence Certificate for special inland waters and for coastal waters shall at the discretion of the Area Water Activities Advisory Committee, and conditional on holding the Lifesaver Badge.
In addition, the Area Water Activities Advisory Committee shall lay down such additional requirements, as it may deem necessary regarding:
- Knowledge of boats and boat work as applied to the type of boat and the class of water.
- Knowledge of boat orders: the ability to give them and to apply them.
- Knowledge of safety precautions: the ability to comply with them and to secure compliance with them.
- Knowledge of the appropriate action in emergencies; the ability to carry out such actions and to secure the obedience of others in emergencies.
- Knowledge of the “Rules of the Road” on water.
- Candidates for Water Licence Certificates or endorsements must be recommended by their TSs for youth Members and by the Group Scouters Council for Adult leaders as capable leaders.
- Where necessary, the examiner for the Water Licence Certificate or endorsement may require candidates to re-pass parts of all of the tests for qualifying badges. Licence Certificate emblems: Where a Charge Certificate has been authorized, an emblem is worn with its lower edge 2cm above the right-hand breast pocket and with the right-hand edge of the badge in line with the right-hand edge of the pocket.