Crew Opening Ceremony
The Crew Opening Ceremony should be used by Rover Crews to open all formal meetings, particularly those taking place inside the Rover Den. Each Crew is encouraged to adapt the ceremony to its own unique needs and traditions.
SCOUTS South Africa Crew Opening Ceremony
This will be held whenever the Crew has a formal meeting. The Crew stands in a circle, with the sword* on a small table covered with the St Georges or the Crew Flag.
- RS/Chair: Once more we are gathered for the threefold purpose of our Fellowship, to carry out the solemn Promise made at our investitures so that we may all follow the road of friendship and service.
- RS/Chair: Are we all assembled here to renew our solemn Promise of Service?
- Crew: We do
- Volunteer Rover removes the sword from the sheath.
- RS/Chair: I ask all Rovers who wish to renew their Promise to point their right hand towards the sword* of Service.”
- All Rovers point their right hand towards the sword* making the Scout sign.
- RS/Chair: Let us pray.**
- RS/Chair: O God who continues to be the same unchanging Father of Humanity; Teach us to serve You as You deserve, To give and not to count on the cost; To fight and not to heed the wounds; To toil and not to seek for rest; To labour and not to ask for any reward; Except knowing that we do Thy will. Amen.”
- RS/Chair: I declare this meeting open.
*The sword is the symbol of St George and his journey of Knighthood. A Crew may choose any symbolic weapon, e.g. spear, battle axe, assegai etc. instead of a sword.
**Any similar prayer can be said depending on the denomination chosen by your Crew.
Traditional Crew Opening Ceremony
- RS/Chair: Fellow Rovers, once more we are gathered for the purpose of Rovering, to gain strength so that we may loyally carry out the promise made at our investiture, to go forward on the road of friendship and service, knowing that none can follow that way who is the spring and inspiration of all that is good. Let us stand in silence for a moment and consider how we have failed in our loyalty to our leader.
- RS/Chair: Do we all here solemnly renew our promise of service?
- Crew: We do
- RS/Chair: As a symbol of that promise, place your left hands towards the sword of service
- RS/Chair removes sword from its sheath, holds it horizontally in front of them
- All invested Rovers hold out their left hands, palm down, towards the sword
- RS/Chair: Let us ask God to aid us in our quest for service to others. O God who continues as the same unchanging father of humanity, teach us to serve you as you deserve, to give and not to count the cost, to fight and not to heed the wounds, to toil and not to seek for rest, to labour and not to ask for any reward, except knowing that we are doing your will. Amen
- Crew: Amen
- RS/Chair places the sword on the table, which is covered with St George's Flag
- The sheath is placed on the table next to the sword